Thursday, October 23, 2008

Prop 8

Today I found a handwritten (yes, I checked the indents) note along with some rather misleading pamphlets in my mailbox. It was from our neighbor a couple doors down, and read:

"Dear Neighbor, Please join me in voting Yes on proposition 8! It is imperative that we act now to preserve the family. A child needs a father and a mother! As a mother of five children I urge you to vote Yes on 8. Thank you, (neighbor x)"

This brings up three questions:
1. When did it become appropriate to do political campaigning (especially on such a wedge issue) within your neighborhood?
2. Is this unique to Wilton? Is everyone here so adamantly against gay rights that it's just assumed that the belief is shared? If so, yikes.
3. Would I feel so put-off by this if I agreed with the opinion being shoved in my mailbox? If there were a hand-written note that urged me to vote no No on prop 8, I'm guessing I wouldn't be so offended.

I know it's normal to send political propaganda through mail, email, even those dinner-time unsolicited calls. But now people we know personally are telling us how to vote? What ever happened to "don't talk religion or politics" with friends and neighbors? Now I know why; I won't be bringing "neighbor x" any Kristin's Homemade Oatmeal Cookies this year!!!

No comments: